ILS Insight 2019
Bermuda VS Guernsey 2
- Guernsey has been an international finance centre for more than 50 years and there are five core pillars to its finance industry: insurance, investment funds, trust & company (including pensions), investment management and banking. Our Why Guernsey? brochure goes into further detail about Guernsey's financial services offering and the attributes which set it apart from others.
- In recent times, Bermuda has become the de-facto choice when insurers or their customers are choosing an offshore centre for (re)insurance. However, more than ever before, Guernsey provides a credible alternative. This guide compares both jurisdiction’s social, political and macroeconomic environments and makes the case for European (re)insurers to consider an offshore base closer to home.
- Guernsey’s long track record and existing expertise gained in the investment funds and insurance sectors are optimised and combined in the ILS offering. Fund managers and promoters with capital to deploy are brought together with transformation managers who understand insurance risk.
- Guernsey has a long and distinguished history in the insurance industry. From the establishment of some of the world’s first captive insurers in the early part of the 20th century to the introduction of the world’s first protected cell company (PCC) legislation in 1997. Now Guernsey is at the forefront again, providing the perfect location for the establishment of a new breed of reinsurers.
- Guernsey is a popular jurisdiction in which to incorporate companies for use on a wide range of transactions, including investment funds, private equity, structured finance and securitisations. Along with providing an at-a-glance comparison of company law in Guernsey, Jersey, the British Virgin Islands and the Cayman Islands, this guide sets out the types of company available under Guernsey law, and the basic principles of Guernsey law in respect of companies.
- Guernsey is home to a specialist insurance sector, providing alternative risk transfer solutions to sophisticated clients. The island provides a business-friendly environment for international reinsurance companies.